First Woman Gondolier!


Okay, I'm Italian American by heritage so indulge me. The Telegraph reports that there is finally a woman gondolier in Venice. Giorgia Boscolo makes quite a splash (hopefully not literally)
"Ms Boscolo's achievement is truly remarkable as since gondoliers took to the waterways of Venice in 1094, there has never been a woman among them..."The guys joked with me that a woman would not be able to control a heavy and long gondola, but I told them that I had given birth to two children and that was far more difficult."
But wait, what's this? The BBC reports...well, you read it:
"...the BBC's David Willey in Rome says that even now, Giorgia Boscolo can only stand in for a male colleague if he wants to take a day off from the lucrative job of rowing tourists."
Shout out to Jeanine Palumbo for the link!

Lead ON!
Susan
Susan Colantuono is CEO of Leading Women and author of No Ceiling, No Walls.  Follow her on Twitter.


Bookmark and Share

No comments: